Loaves & Fishes is excited to welcome Minnesota GreenCorps member Laura Bessenecker who will serve 1,700 hours over an 11-month period.
Minnesota GreenCorps is a statewide initiative to help preserve and protect Minnesota’s environment while training a new generation of environmental professionals. The Minnesota GreenCorps program is an AmeriCorps program coordinated by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), launched in September 2009. The MPCA selected Loaves & Fishes as one of 50 host sites.
Bessenecker will work with Loaves & Fishes to help achieve six main goals:
• Reduce solid waste and increase recycling
• Reduce air pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions
• Reduce water runoff and improve water quality
• Train the next generation of environmental professionals
• Build organizational capacity to integrate sustainability into everyday practices and decisions
• Increase community member environmental knowledge and change their behaviors related to the environment
With a degree in Botany from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Bessenecker has always been passionate about food sustainability. She previously spent time as an apprentice with Troy Farms in Madison where she got hands on experience with farming and community involvement.